Wednesday, 13 April 2022

“My Indigenous Aunties instilled in me the importance of promoting our tradition through fashion"



Growing up in Nipissing First Nation, my Indigenous territory in Ontario, Canada, someone in my large, crazy family was always producing. My mother is Ojibwe and one of eighteen siblings, and when we were not all gathered for a massive Sunday breakfast at my grandmother Leda's house, you could find my relatives preparing food, stitching, or beading on their own. Walking into any of my relatives' houses, you would always see a project in progress, whether it was making my sister's nursery rhyme dress for the summer powwow or making a set of fur-lined slippers for my cousin's birthday. Even though my reservation is remote and hours away from any major city, it was going to witness this constant designing-in-action on the rez that ignited my love for fashion, as I would later discover. I was seeing unique, handcrafted creations come to life every day.

 

My aunties' ability to create such fabulous pieces as my beaded fur mittens is not limited to my family history. Aunties are the matriarchs who execute our traditions in Indigenous families. Though the term "Native auntie" refers to Indigenous elders, it is more of a term of affection. They could be your actual aunts, a close family friend, or a well-known member of your community. Regardless, they instruct our tribes typically created to the next generation so that we can proceed to champion our heritage and preserve our culture. This is critical given our family's culture; our customs were once legally prohibited. Of course, Indigenous women have always played a significant role in ensuring our communities' well-being. Traditionally, women were valued for their ability to be craftwork artists, healers, and good cooks. Today, aunties remain the pillars of our communities, ensuring that our history is carried forward into the present.



Figure 1 A vest design by Christian Allaire’s mother and aunties

This has undoubtedly been true in my own family. My sister and relatives have all managed to learn well how to sew or bead the Ojibwe way, thanks to our talented aunties' tutelage (intricate floral beadwork is an Ojibwe signature). Even though I have no talent for craftwork, I have embraced Indigenous style in my unique way. Over the last few years, I have collaborated with my mother and aunties to create my traditional garments, each of which holds a special meaning for me.

 

This is undeniably true in my own family. Thanks to our naturally gifted aunties' instruction and supervision, my sister and family members have all learned how to sew and bead the Ojibwe way (intricate floral beadwork is an Ojibwe signature). Even though I am not gifted in the arts, I have embraced the Indigenous style in my unique way. I have spent the last few years working with my mom and aunties to design my traditional garments, each of which has a special meaning for me.

 

The Indigenous fashion space is only expanding, with a new generation of Indigenous designers incorporating their culture into streetwear and swimwear. This blessing can be attributed to the matriarchs. My aunties have opened my eyes to our cultural values, and they have used fashion as a common language. Our aunties have a wealth of cultural wisdom; they are our historic standard-bearers. As an independent person, I realize it is a huge honor – and blessing – for me to witness their craftwork. Now, when I put on a fabulous shirt or a piece of jewelry that they have designed for me, I am not just flexing a look—I'm wearing a piece of our resilient spirit, loud and proud.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lesedi La Bathja Rehabilitation Centre substance abuse awareness program

Students from the faculty of human sciences at the Vaal University of Technology who are studying public relations (PR EXCEL) conducted a pr...